Thursday, November 17, 2005

Senior Year of High School (Jim)

Ecstacy 11/17/2005

How can I explain an ecstacy to you, that deepens day by day, moment by moment, that bewitches me body and soul? I don’t know that I can, but I will try.

It’s a relationship, based in gratitude and praise, that I nourish and feed and stay in connection with all day, no matter where I am or what I do. It begins with a brief, jubilant, exhilarating burst of praise as I awake and ends wrapped in a longer contemplative worship at days end. In between I take in each moment, taste and relish and return in praise the beauty of it all. The connection I use be caught up in only in unaware breathtaking instances, that’d stop me and make me step aside for, I’ve now taken within me, and it’s constant. I walk on hollowed ground everywhere.

The union feeds though on making regular space for moments of even deeper intimacy. Many brief interludes of prayer with Fr. Miriani are this, but evening prayer is much more so. I love the Our Father prayer. In a church behind its alter, with a lone candle, I, on my knees, with my face to the ground, whisper ‘Hollowed be thy name’, ‘Thy kingdom will come on earth as it is in heaven’ - (for it is here in me now). With a sharp intake of air, I take it in. Rising slightly and opening outward, I breath, ‘Give US this day our daily bread’ (that which makes us know we are alive) and forgive US (exactly as we forgive others). Having gone from divine to earthly relationship, I ex-hail. I breath in again - DELIVER US! I rise to a crouch and closing in on the flame, taking in a deep breath, I soar, ‘For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory - forever.’ I sigh ‘So be it’. Is it not a deeply centering prayer? I am back in right relationship with all.

Mass is also an hour of great intimacy and emotion for me. In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, enfolds me. The ‘Kyrie eleison’ puts me back on my knees, face to the ground, in humility. The Word takes me into its confidence. The remembrance of the Last Supper wastes me. I, a son of God, eating with twelve of my closest friends, say to them and to all others beyond, ‘This is my Body’ (everything I have and am materially) that I give up for you, consume me. Then I look at each one and soulfully say, ‘This is my Blood’ (everything I have and am in spirit) that I give up for you, drink me up. I am one with all.

Because the relationship is grounded in gratitude and praise, the more I give back, the more realized and richer I become. The joy grows and grows till it consumes me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home